Chicken pickle Recipe is a delicious and tangy dish that combines the flavors of succulent chicken and aromatic spices. It is a popular condiment in many Indian households, known for its spicy and flavorful taste. In this article, we will guide you through the process of making chicken pickle at home, providing step-by-step instructions and useful tips to ensure a delectable outcome.
1. Introduction to Chicken Pickle
Chicken pickle is a traditional Indian dish that involves marinating chicken pieces with a blend of spices and then cooking it in oil. The chicken is cooked until tender and flavorful, and it is then preserved in the oil and spices mixture, allowing the flavors to develop over time. The result is a tantalizing pickle that can be enjoyed as a side dish or added to various meals for an extra kick of flavor.
2. Ingredients for Chicken Pickle
To make chicken pickle, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 kg chicken, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 10-12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup oil (preferably mustard oil)
- Salt to taste
3. Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Chicken Pickle
Marinating the Chicken
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chicken pieces.
- Add 2 tablespoons of red chili powder, 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder, and salt to taste.
- Mix well, ensuring all the chicken pieces are coated with the spices.
- Cover the bowl and let the chicken marinate for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Preparing the Spice Mix
- In a dry skillet, add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and fennel seeds.
- Roast the seeds on low heat until they release a fragrant aroma.
- Remove from heat and let them cool.
- Grind the roasted seeds into a fine powder using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
Cooking the Chicken
- Heat oil in a large pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and grated ginger to the hot oil and sauté for a minute.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan and cook until it turns golden brown.
- Reduce the heat and continue cooking until the chicken is tender and well-cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
Adding the Spice Mix
- In the same pan, add the ground spice mix, 2 tablespoons of red chili powder, 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder, and salt to taste.
- Mix well and cook the spices for a minute.
- Add vinegar and mix until well combined.
- Return the cooked chicken to the pan and stir to coat it evenly with the spice mixture.
- Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes on low heat, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Taste the chicken pickle and adjust the seasoning if needed by adding more salt or spices according to your preference.
- Turn off the heat and let the chicken pickle cool down to room temperature.
Storing the Chicken Pickle
- Transfer the chicken pickle to clean and dry glass jars with airtight lids.
- Ensure that the chicken pieces are fully submerged in the oil and spice mixture.
- Seal the jars tightly and store them in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight.
- Allow the chicken pickle to mature for at least a week before consuming for the best flavor.
4. Tips for Making the Perfect Chicken Pickle
- Use fresh and good-quality chicken to ensure a tasty and tender pickle.
- Adjust the spiciness according to your preference by adding more or less red chili powder.
- Mustard oil is the traditional choice for making chicken pickle as it adds a unique flavor, but you can use any cooking oil of your choice.
- Make sure to sterilize the jars and lids before storing the pickle to prevent spoilage.
- Use dry spoons to handle the pickle to avoid any moisture entering the jars and causing spoilage.
5. Health Benefits of Chicken Pickle
Chicken pickle not only adds a burst of flavors to your meals but also offers some health benefits. It is a good source of protein, essential vitamins, and minerals. The spices used in the pickle, such as turmeric, ginger, and garlic, have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can support overall health and boost immunity.
6. Serving Suggestions for Chicken Pickle
Chicken pickle can be enjoyed in various ways. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Serve it as a side dish with rice, roti (Indian bread), or naan.
- Spread it on sandwiches or wraps for an extra kick.
- Use it as a topping for pizzas or flatbreads.
- Add it to salads or stir-fries to elevate the flavor.
Experiment and find your favorite way to incorporate chicken pickle into your meals!
Making chicken pickle at home is a delightful culinary adventure. The combination of succulent chicken and aromatic spices creates a tantalizing pickle that adds a burst of flavors to your meals. With the step-by-step instructions and tips provided in this article, you can now embark on the journey of creating your own homemade chicken pickle. Enjoy the tangy and spicy goodness that this condiment brings to your table!